This is the story of a simple and outdated kitchen table. You know, the typical piece of furniture you find in your grandma’s kitchen or in any good thrift store. The table’s design was very simple. The legs were made of real beautiful wood but unfortunately the top was covered with a kind of laminate. …
1. Give your Table a New Life with Black PaintBlack is classy and can give a modern look to any old and outdated dining set. This solid wood table was found on Craigslist for $100. After lightly sanding the table, Amanda painted it with Eclipse Milk Paint Finish from Rust-Oleum. This painted dining room table looks so gorgeous now and all that, thanks to black paint !
2. Two Tone Black and WoodYou love black but don’t want to go for the total black look, then paint the legs only! Two-tone is the perfect solution to redo a dated or damaged table without covering all the wood. Lauren painted her table legs black to help tie it together with the other furniture pieces in the kitchen and she did a really good job.
3. Paint Your Table White and Distress to Give it a Farmhouse VibePainting your beloved table with white paint is a good way to brighten up your dining room. This 13$ table was found on Facebook Marketplace and was ready for a new life after being painted with Dixie Belle Paint in Coton and distressed.
4. Stenciled Table TopStencils are perfect for transforming a thrift store find into a beautiful and unique decorative piece of furniture. Go choose a nice reusable stencil, grab your favorite paint brush and try! You’ll be amazed by the result! This basic wooden table below became a really piece of art with its stenciled top and blue painted legs. Source: theyellowfern.blogspot.com
5. Even Dated Tile Table Tops May be StenciledPaint is a great and easy way to update a dated tile table. All the tiles were stenciled and the table legs were painted navy for a great makeover!
6. Why Not Trying Cerused Dining Table TopCerusing is a wood finishing technique that creates a two-toned look. The wood grain is open and accentuated against a contrasting base color. Oak wood is good for cerusing. And good news, second hand oak wood tables are easy to find and cheap! Check this great before/after by Kristi. Say good bye to the orange oak table and welcome a bright and modern look oak table.
7. Zinc Table TopApplying a zinc sheet is a great way to redo a very damaged table top, even when it is not salvageable. Plus it adds a modern twist we already likes when we gathered our best coffee table makeover ideas. To be honest, adding a zinc table to an old table is not the easiest project and may be more suitable for the experienced do-it-yourselfer. But you will see, the result will match your expectations. Should you need more proof, check out this bright yellow and zinc table makeover:
8. Change your Table Top…Building a new table top is a great way to makeover an outdated tile dining table. This white tile top table was turned into a herringbone farmhouse style table thanks to a new DIY wooden table top. Here at Ohmysander we already built a new top for an old coffee table:
9. …Or the LegsLet’s say you like you like your beautiful wood table top but you really don’t like the legs… Instead of buying a new table, consider replacing the legs. This way, you can give your dining table a fresh new look for a fraction of the price of new table. Good quality table legs may be found in home improvement stores or easily ordered online. Install hairpin legs for mid-century-modern twist to even the most basic table. Gina from Acutedesigns swap this basic Ikea table wooden legs with hairpin legs. The table top was also sanded and stained. This table looks now lighter and more modern. Hair pin legs can be easily ordered on Amazon. Kristi from Addicted2Decorating bought a table on Ebay for a steal ($51 together with 8 chairs). Only issue, the table wasn’t exactly her style. She decided to use that table top and change the legs to turn it into a farmhouse style table. She then painted the legs with a deep green color. The result is amazing! Source: addicted2decorating.com Farmhouse style table legs may be purchased online. TABLELEGS.COM offers many choices including mid-century modern legs and farmhouse style table legs. We also found some great ones on Amazon.
10. Break your piggy bank and build a penny TableCrafters who love creative ideas will love this DIY project. We’re not lying to you, this kind of project is not difficult but it takes a lot of time. You just have to lay all the pennies over the table, glue them and pour over epoxy for fine finish. You can check out Mindy tutorial. The after is pretty cool! Source: heartmainehome.blogspot.com
11. DIY Mosaic Table TopAshley thrifted some floral China plates for decorating the top of her old outdoor table. After two days of hard work, she got a unique shabby chic looking coffee table.
12. Patio Table Makeover with Paint and New TilesA dated tile-top patio table was transformed in couple of hours into something new and modern thanks to new tiles. The main difficulty encountered by Chica was to find the right size tiles she liked.
13. Add Some Vibrant ColorsWith its pop colors legs, this kitchen table will add a touch of originality and boldness to any boring kitchen. Check out the before and after HERE: Painted Kitchen Table with Striped Legs.
14. Dare to Redo Your Dining Room SetDining room sets often have seen better days: dings, scratches, outdated design… In most cases, paint can make all the difference! Painted with a beautiful yellow paint from Dixie Belle, this table now has a beautiful pop of color! The darker gel stain with the yellow paint gives this set an entirely different look!
15. Go for StripesThis rustic table was in pristine condition but terribly outdated. Chrystele painted the table legs and two lateral stripes on the table top to give character to this piece of furniture. The outdated brown rustic piece became a charming two-tone farmhouse style table. Check out the full tutorial here: Two Tone Dining Table Makeover.
16. Don’t Overlook an Old French Provincial TableFrench provincial tables are usually charming solid wood pieces of furniture. They make perfect candidates for a makeover. This dining room table with scratches and worn edges definitely needed some work. It was given a modern and romantic twist with a lot of sanding and some white paint.
17. Dealing with Laminate Table Top? Paint It!Like Larissa, we love the lines of the Mid Century style table. However the laminate top was really worn and, I must say, quite ugly. Fortunately, Larissa from Prodigal Pieces dared to paint the table top with a good primer and a dark gray paint with a hint of brow. The outcome is just amazing! Source: prodigalpieces.com
18. Create a Whitewashed Wood DécorWhitewashing is a great way to age a table and brighten it up while keeping the wood grain showing. Donna updated this dark wood table using whitewash painting on the top.
19. Try DIY Concrete Table TopYes, you can add concrete top to your old table. It’s durable, easy to maintain and give an industrial modern look to an old fashioned piece of furniture. The wooden table went through a dramatic change but the result totally worth the mess of mixing concrete. Source: reclaimedstudio.blogspot.com
20. Simply go back to raw woodMay be you inherited an old table from you grand-mother or you just found a lovely table at your favorite thrift store. This table has a great shape or details, but the color is too dark. If the piece is made of wood (either solid wood or veneer), you can remove the old finish and give it a raw wood look. Despite all the elbow grease and dust involved, it totally worth it. We absolutely love the raw, natural wood tones of the refinished table. Happy Makeover!
More dining makeover ideas:
Today, I will share a makeover carried out a long time ago by my friend Chrystele: the Two Tone Dining Table. Many years later, I’m still a huge fan of this makeover. In my opinion, this project is the very essence of furniture upcycling. You find a piece that nobody wants and upgrade it to …
Not only do I blog and DIY, but I also do custom jobs for clients and friends in my local area. One of the most requested jobs that I receive is flipping dining room sets. Many of the dining sets have seen better days, while others need a little refreshing. This is one of the …
I gave a $13.00 Facebook Marketplace dining room table a makeover using Chalk Paint. I also found four farmhouse chairs that match this farmhouse style dining table. I have been wanting a change in my dining area for quite some time. As much as I love my farm table, I was ready for a change. …
I get all excited when I score a piece in my local thrift store! Like this pretty. The price was $14.99. I thought it a bit high, but it was REAL wood and had very minimal damage. I was in need of a small table to go beside a wall by my fireplace, and this …