While browsing at my local thrift store a couple a weeks ago, I came across this hutch top. It was priced at $14.99, which I thought was a little high. I decided to give it a week or two. And it paid off. The reduced price was $7.50, and of course, I could not pass it up! The Hubs loaded it up!
I already had an idea brewing in my head as we drove home with it in the back of the truck. I wanted to make a farmhouse shelf. This could be accomplished by turning it upside down and adding a shelf.
The Ugly Leaf Carving
The top was in awesome shape. I did realize from the very beginning that the leaf decor on the top had to go! It wasn’t giving off that farmhouse vibe! But that can be fixed with wood filler.
Of course, like all the other hutch tops I have repurposed, I decided to flip it upside down so that the molding would be on the bottom. Since this was going to be a shelving unit, I did not add furniture legs. Here is the shelf turned upside down. See how it flows better flipped upside down? The Hubs used a piece of plywood and cut a shelf for the bottom.
New Top Construction for $7.50 Thrift Store Find
My husband constructed a new wood top and bottom shelf. The bottom was some sort of cardboard, which was originally the top before being flipped, so it did not serve a purpose. I knew it needed a sturdy wood shelf. Therefore, the Hubs built a shelf out of plywood.
He constructed the top from 2×4’s cut down and trimmed it out with smaller pieces. I then stained it with Rust-Oleum’s English Chestnut.
Rust-Oleum Chalk Paint in Charcoal
Minwax Stain in English Chestnut
Two Iron Corner Brackets – Hobby Lobby at 50% Off
I gave everything a light sanding and then cleaned with vinegar and water. Rust-Oleum Chalked Paint in Charcoal was the color choice. I knew the red tint of the wood would pop if painted black and distressed. The shelf only needed two coats, allowing a 24-hour drying period in between coats. Here is the cabinet with two coats of Charcoal inside and out.
The back of the hutch top was in excellent condition! I liked the “beadboard” look it had! The only change made to the back was applying the paint. Once everything was dry, I distressed it with my 220-grit sandpaper.
Final Touches for Thrift Store Find
In order to give this thrift store find some class, we added two shelving brackets from Hobby Lobby to the top to give it some character.
If you click on an affiliate link, I receive a small commission at no extra cost to you! Thank you!
This was a pretty easy project. I love the farmhouse vibe it puts off!
Here are a few of my other thrift store makeovers!
$1.00 Television Cabinet Repurposed – Yep ONE DOLLAR!
“It’s not about what it is, it’s about what it will be.”